In Our

AREA

Matera

Matera, to visit the famous Sassi since 1993 are included by UNESCO in the list of World Heritage Sites. For "stone" means district carved into the rock, and the sassi of Matera are literally carved in the shelter of a deep ravine, the Gravina.

The Stones were the first in the world declared "cultural landscape" and it has been recognized as a role model that they can play in showing how to live in balance with the environment, exploiting the resources, but integrated with it, without distorting it.

Alberobello

Alberobello is located in the south- east of the province of Bari , near Castellana Grotte , Locorotondo and Putignano. The town was founded in the fifteenth century by Acquaviva - D'Aragona , the Counts of Conversano , an area occupied by a forest of oaks. Typical feature of Alberobello are the trulli houses built with dry stone , whitewashed with lime base and cone-shaped roof made ??from stone. Alberobello is the only center to preserve the historic core composed entirely of trulli. Internally , the trulli have a square central chamber communicating through arches with the other rooms of the house. Many of the trulli in the old town can be visited .
The trullo highest in the country , called the Sovereign Trullo , has two floors and houses a museum. The conical roofs are often embellished with decorations of various shapes with milk of lime, depicting zodiac symbols or religious. In 1996, the town of Alberobello, the heart of the Murgia , was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2010 and has been certified by the Italian Touring Club as orange flag.

The most ancient and characteristic districts of Alberobello are the " Mountains " and " Aia Piccola " . In the 'Monti', consisting of more than a thousand trulli by construction of the original, there are the " trulli Siamese", with the cover featuring two cones joined together, the hearth bottom and no windows. The district " Aia Piccola " is instead characterized by picturesque narrow and winding streets, in excellent condition .

 

Altamura

The town of Altamura is located in the hinterland of the province of Bari , near the border with Basilicata.
Fossils , some of which are outstanding as Altamura man , evidence of human presence in this area 400,000 years before Christ. In 500 B.C. were built the megalithic walls that gave the town its name ( High Walls ) . There was a long period of domination , which ended the arrival of Frederick II ( 1232), who gave new impetus to the city by building a Cathedral and repopulating it with Arab , Greek and Jewish .
In that period, the characteristic layout of the city, with the " cloisters ", small squares surrounded by alleys . Altamura subsequently underwent several dominions , including the Orsini , who built palaces and convents. In 1531 , the inhabitants of Altamura undertake to pay 20,000 ducats needed to redeem their city from the yoke of the feudal . The city saw a particularly prosperous period between 1500 and 1700, until it was established in 1748 within its walls the University that helped to spread the ideals of equality and freedom promoted by the French Revolution . Because of this new spirit , when in 1799 the city was besieged and sacked by the army of the Holy Faith , citizenship gave birth to a long endurance. E ' for this reason that the historians of the early twentieth century, still animated by the spirit of the Risorgimento, gave the city the nickname of " Lioness of Puglia ." In subsequent years, Altamura housed the Court of Appeal in Terra di Bari and the seat of the Provisional Government of Puglia.

Enchanting is the Shrine of Our Lady of Good path : was a refuge for travelers on the road that once led to Bari , as well as a place of worship where you can stop to pray. Of great interest is also the State Archaeological Museum : inside are kept many of the findings of the cave Lamalunga , tools and kits late Middle Ages . The famous Altamura man , a human fossil lived between 250,000 and 400,000 years ago , is open in the " Visitor Center Altamura Man " at Masseria Ragone .
In a cave four kilometers from the town were discovered footprints of dinosaurs that lived in this land about 70 million years ago.
Anyone visiting Altamura will take the memory , the taste and the smell of bread PDO , so good to be served as a meal and not as a complement.

Gravina

Gravina in Puglia is located in the province of Bari, in the Western Murgia , in an area full of hollows and ravines . Its territory demarcates the border between Apulia and Lucania. The numerous archaeological findings prove that the territory of Gravina was already inhabited in the Paleolithic antico.In later the city was colonized by the Greeks and Romans , as confirmed by the findings of villages and cemeteries . Under Alexander the Molossian Gravina obtained the recognition of the polis. In 305 B.C. became a Roman municipality , the title remained until the fall of the Roman Empire , when it came under the control of the Byzantines first , followed by the Normans .
Several rulers who followed one another throughout history and to whom we owe the construction of important buildings : the most significant , the cathedral near the castle , at the behest of Umfrido of Hauteville, and the hunting lodge built by Emperor Frederick II , who in 1224 commissioned the work to the Florentine Fucci , having discovered the beauty of these places rich in forests and springs.
After the defeat of Manfred at Benevento , the heir of Frederick, in 1266 , the city came under the jurisdiction of the Angevins . They were responsible for the establishment in 1294 of the characteristic Fiera di San Giorgio , now one of the oldest in Italy . During the thirteenth century came the monks , the Templars and the Knights Hospitallers , here you got extensive possessions. In 1380 the town was annexed to the Principality of Taranto by the Del Balzo Orsini , who remained in control until 1816.

Significant tourist sites of archaeological hill Petramagna and " Eternal Father " that attest to the attendance of these places from the eighth century BC to at the hands of Peuceti and their fusion with the Greeks and the Romans . Evidence of the presence of these civilizations are remains of temples , walls and floors of homes, as well as in the ceramic repertoire .
Definitely deserving of attention are the Castello Svevo, outside the town , the church of the Madonna delle Grazie and the rock settlement of the Seven Rooms .
A Gravina , in the second half of April , do not miss also the Feast of Saint George, one of the oldest in Italy.

Bari

Regional capital , covers an area almost entirely flat along the coast and only a few strokes climbs on the Murgia of Bari . The shape of the city resembles a bird with outstretched wings whose head forms the core of Bari Vecchia. It was annexed to the Roman Empire in the third century aCNel over time was an Arab Emirate and conquered by the Lombards , Byzantines and Saracens. Headquarters of the fleet of the Roman Empire of the East, the old town is organized around the catapan court . Following the stealing of the remains of St. Nicholas and the construction of the basilica dedicated to the saint, Bari became a major center of Christianity, the point of departure and arrival of the Crusaders and bridge of communication with the East. After the rule of the Normans , Angevins , Aragonese and Spanish , the urban evolution of the city began in 1813 outside the historic center with the construction of the new village.
Currently , thanks to the strategic function of the port, the airport and the important complex of the Fiera del Levante , Bari has taken a leading role in relations with the countries bordering the Mediterranean .

Structures of merit, newer than the many monuments of the historic center , include the Teatro Petruzzelli , Teatro Margherita ( under restoration ) , the Teatro Piccinni and Palazzo Fizzarotti . There are numerous rock-hewn churches and tombs carved into the rock. Among them : the cave church of St. Candida, the temple of St. George, the underground and the underground Madia Diana " Jewish ." Among the museums to visit: the Archaeological Museum , the Provincial Art Gallery , the Civic History museum and the Botanical Gardens .
Definitely worthy of note are the historic center , the so-called Bari Vecchia, surrounded by the imposing waterfront Emperor Augustus, and whose heart is the Piazza del Ferrarese button . Very evocative glimpses behind the harbor , including the characteristic Piazza San Pietro , the monastery diSanta School , the buildings Archconfraternity of St. Luke and the Swabian Castle .
Among the most important events we remember the celebrations of St. Nicholas, the patron saint of the city, December 6 and 7 to 9 May , with the Corteo Storico Caravella, and exhibitions organized at the Fiera del Levante , the structure of the thirties.

Polignano

Polignano a Mare , the birthplace of the Italian singer Domenico Modugno, is located about thirty kilometers from the town of Puglia . Given the strategic location of its center of town overlooking the sea , has always been considered a gateway to the Mediterranean and the East. It is , in fact, an important commercial crossroads and a meeting place of different cultures. In urban structures are traces of the Arab, Byzantine, Spanish and Norman .
Polignano offers a crystal-clear sea of various shades , twelve kilometers of coastline with numerous caves carved into the rocks: for these reasons it is defined by tourists as the "Pearl of the Adriatic" . The seascape of the town is characterized by many small inlets and coves accessible by boat , often linked with the basements of the houses above . Of particular interest , scientific as well as tourism, are the seabed of the sea that stretches in front of the town , a popular destination of divers and diving enthusiasts.
The fertile countryside of the town is characterized by the presence of blades , covered by the classical Mediterranean vegetation and the presence of numerous archaeological sites .
The resort has been awarded the Blue Flag in 2013 by the Foundation for Environmental Education .

Among the events of particular interest is the Festival of the Madonna del Carmelo, celebrated July 15 to 17 , the feast of Saints Cosmas and Damian August 13th and sees the traditional procession of devotees and the feast of Christ on September 17 , during which the cross is carried in procession between the districts .

Castellana Grotte

Castellana is located in the hinterland of the province of Bari, 290 meters from sea level on the edge of a karst valley closed. Characterized by a type of economy on agriculture and industry , owes its tourist caves , cave complex of international repute within walking distance from the town.
Historical sources attest to the presence of the settlement as early as the tenth century, under the name of Castellano , abandoned for the present since 1310.
The house was donated by Count Geoffrey Norman Benedictine monastery of Conversano , under whose jurisdiction the civil and ecclesiastical remained until the fifteenth century. Acquired by the Orsini , Castellana was given as a dowry to the daughter of Giovanni Antonio Orsini , on the occasion of his marriage with a member of the Acquaviva , whose rule lasted until 1806.
In the sixteenth century the city experienced a significant growth due to a constant flow of immigrants . The agrarian transformation started in the seventeenth century contributed to the birth of a peasant class and laid the foundations for an economic development based on the exploitation of the earth, with the cultivation of vineyards and olive trees . During the last century , an important role in economic and cultural life of Castellana has been coated by the family De Bellis , owner of a textile factory and a winery.

At the entrance of the city lie the caves of Castellana, complex of caves discovered and explored for the first time in 1938 by Franco Anelli . The caves are a set of caves and tunnels that branch into the ground for more than 2 km, offering visitors a unique environment . New routes , discovered in 1982 are now intended only for scientific research.
Of great interest is the church of the Franciscan monastery , which houses the image of Our Lady of Vetrana, patron saint of the city for having saved the people from the plague in 1691. This event is celebrated on January 11 with the feast of the Bonfire , during which there is a procession in which the icon is brought from the convent to the Mother Church . In places Serritella , is the characteristic church of Our Lady of the Grotto , an example of rock-cut architecture of the seventeenth century.